At Pepperstone you can only trade forex and a range of CFDs (commodities, stock indices, share CFDs, cryptos). This means that many popular asset classes such as real stocks and ETFs are missing.
Pepperstone is primarily a forex broker with a good selection of other CFD products like cryptos, popular shares and commodities. To learn more about CFDs read our CFD trading tips.
Disclaimer: CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 74-89% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Among cryptos, you can trade Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Dogecoin, Litecoin and Polkadot. Speaking of commodities, we really liked that you can have positions in gold against multiple currencies (USD, EUR, AUD, GBP, CHF).
At Pepperstone, you can trade 600+ US stocks as share CFDs, including large-cap companies like Boeing, Facebook, Apple, Exxon and Alibaba. You can go long and short. After-hours trading is possible (this is when earnings are typically released).
Their share CFD selection includes 100 popular UK stocks, a number of German shares as well as more than 100 Australian shares. You'll need MetaTrader 5 to trade share CFDs. It's good to know that, unlike traditional share trades, there is no stamp duty to be paid on UK CFD trades. As an alternative to CFD trading, UK residents can use spread betting. In the UK, spread betting profits are exempt from capital gains tax and the stamp duty.
74-89% of retail CFD accounts lose money
|Currency pairs (#)||62||61||76|
|Stock index CFDs (#)||25||25||14|
|Stock CFDs (#)||1000+||1,600||-|
|ETF CFDs (#)||-||30||-|
|Commodity CFDs (#)||32||20||14|
|Bond CFDs (#)||-||9||-|
Note that cryptos are not available to UK retail consumers, as per FCA ruling.
You can change the leverage if you go to your Client Area by clicking the pencil icon in the top right corner. The amount of leverage you can use is determined by the regulator you are at, see our detailed table below.
|Legal entity||Regulator||Leverage for major currencies||Leverage for minor currency pairs||Leverage for commodities||Leverage for individual equity||Leverage for crypto|
|Pepperstone Group Limited||ASIC (Australian Securities and & Investments Commission)||30:1||20:1||10:1||5:1||2:1|
|Pepperstone Limited||FCA (Financial Conduct Authority)||30:1||20:1||10:1||5:1||-|
|Pepperstone EU Limited||CySEC (Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission)||30:1||20:1||10:1||5:1||2:1|
Pepperstone Markets Limited
SCB (Securities Commission of The Bahamas)
|Up to 200:1, depending on the instrument||Up to 200:1, depending on the instrument||Up to 200:1, depending on the instrument||Up to 20:1||10:1|
Pepperstone Financial Services (DIFC) Limited
DFSA (Dubai Financial Services Authority)
|30:1||30:1||Up to 20:1 depending on the instrument||10:1||Up to 10:1|
Pepperstone Markets Kenya Limited
CMA (Capital Markets Authority)
|Up to 400:1||Up to 400:1||Up to 400:1||20:1||NA|
At Pepperstone, the allowed leverage for crypto is 10:1 while the leverage for commodities is up to 20:1 depending on instrument.
Changing the leverage manually is a very useful feature when you want to lower the risk of your trade. Be careful with forex and CFD trading, as the preset leverage levels may be high.
Social trading, algo trading and strategies
Pepperstone has partnered up with multiple social trading platforms, through which you can access copy trading features including Myfxbook, Mirror Trader, MetaTrader Signals and DupliTrade.
- Myfxbook is an automated forex trading service. It is a mirroring service that allows you to copy other trades from other trading systems.
- MetaTrader Signals lets you access thousands of trading strategies and signals from other traders.
- Lastly, DupliTrade collects all the above services into one. DupliTrade lets you tap into other traders' expertise for new techniques. However, you will have to deposit a minimum of AUD 5,000 to access DupliTrade's strategy providers.
Pepperstone provides spread betting for UK and Irish clients. In the UK, spread betting profits are exempt from capital gains tax.
- About Pepperstone
- Pepperstone fees
- Pepperstone minimum deposit
- Pepperstone Minimum Deposit from South Africa
- Pepperstone Minimum Deposit from Kenya
- How to withdraw from Pepperstone
- Pepperstone's customer service detailed
- Pepperstone's online trading education
- Is Pepperstone considered safe?
- Pepperstone research and analysis tools
- Opening an account at Pepperstone
- Pepperstone trading platforms
- Pepperstone MetaTrader
- Does Pepperstone have MT4?
- What is Pepperstone's cTrader?
- Does Pepperstone have low spreads?
- Pepperstone app
- Can you trade options at Pepperstone?
- Pepperstone alternatives