What is the cost of buying US stocks on Interactive Brokers?
If you would like to know the commission for popular stocks, try our Fee Calculator tool. You simply have to choose a stock, enter the dollar amount you wish to buy shares for, and select your location. The tool will list available brokers with the lowest commission and the amount of commission you have to pay for the trade.
Stock trading is one of the most popular forms of investment, and with the help of online brokerages like Interactive Brokers it is easily accessible for nearly everyone.
At Interactive Brokers, you can trade more than 7,100 real US stocks on 20 stock exchanges with low or no trading fees, depending on your IBKR Plan. You can also trade fractional shares at Interactive Brokers.
If you have an IBKR Lite Plan, you can trade US stocks commission free. However, the IBKR Lite Plan is only available for US citizens.
If you have an IBKR Pro Plan, then the commission for trading US stocks depends on your chosen pricing scheme. You can choose either Tiered or Fixed Pricing.
If you opted for Tiered Pricing, then your commission will depend on the volume of monthly shares traded.
|Monthly Volume (shares)||Commission per share|
|300,001 - 3.000,000||$0.0020|
|3,000,001 - 20,000,000||$0.0015|
|20,000,001 - 100,000,000||$0.0010|
If you opted for Fixed Pricing, then your commission will always be $0.005 per share, with a minimum value of $1 and a maximum value of 1% of the trade value. This means that if you buy fewer than 200 shares in a trade, your commission will always be $1. However, if for instance you buy 500 shares, your commission will be $2.50.
If you are mostly interested in stocks and ETFs, then Interactive Brokers' GlobalTrader app might be the right choice for you. GlobalTrader is a user-friendly mobile app dedicated to stock trading worldwide. Through this app, users all over the world have access to stocks, fractional shares, ETFs and funds. Cryptos are available as well, but only in certain regions. For US clients, the service is commission free. Non-US clients are charged $0.005 per share with a minimum commission of $1, which is still considered low. If you would like to learn more, check out our full review of IBKR GlobalTrader, detailing additional platform features.
Interactive Brokers also offers an analytical tool called GlobalAnalyst to help you compare the relative value of global stocks by region, industry, market capitalization and currency. The purpose of this tool is to help you spot undervalued or overvalued stocks around the world.
Interactive Brokers further reading:
- Interactive Brokers review
- How to trade after hours on Interactive Brokers
- Why is Interactive Brokers so cheap?
- How to buy ETF on Interactive Brokers
- Can you buy Bitcoin on Interactive Brokers?
- How to use Interactive Brokers for Paper Trading
- How to withdraw funds from Interactive Brokers
- How to convert currency on Interactive Brokers?
- How to change the base currency on Interactive Brokers?
- Does Interactive Brokers offer ISA accounts?
- What is the Interactive Brokers debit card?
- Interactive Brokers fees explained
- Interactive Brokers Account Opening
- Is Interactive Brokers good for beginners?
- Is Interactive Brokers free?
- Can you trade options at Interactive Brokers?
- Interactive Brokers Minimum Deposit